【词汇】 考生应认知3000个单词，并熟练掌握其中的1 800个单词及其基本的搭配。
1． — Hello, could I speak to Mr. Smith, please? — _________________________
A. Who are you? B. Who’s there?
C. Who could I help? D. Who’s that speaking?
2. — I believe we’ve met somewhere before. — No, ____________________.
A. it isn’t the same B. it can’t be true
C. I don’t think so D. I’d rather not
3. — How are you, Bob? — _______
A. How are you? B. I’m fine. Thank you.
C. How do you do? D. Nice to meet you.
4. — Thanks for your help. — __________
A. My pleasure. B. Never mind.
C. Quite right. D. Don’t thank me.
5. — Hello, I’m Harry Potter.
— Hello, my name is Charles Green, but ______.
A. call my Charles B. call me at Charles
C. call me Charles D. call Charles me
The United States covers a large part of the North American continent. Its neighbors are Canada to the north and Mexico to the south. Although the United States is a big country, it is not the largest in the world. In 2000, its population was over 222 million.
When this land first became a nation, after winning its independence from England, it had thirteen states. Each of the states was represented on the American flag by a star. All these states were in the eastern part of the continent. As the nation grew toward the west, new states were added and new stars appeared on the flag. For a long time, there were 48 stars. In 1959, however, two more stars were added to the flag, representing the new states of Alaska and Hawaii.
Indians were the first people of the land which is now the United States. There are still many thousands of Indians now living in all parts of the country. Sometimes it is said that the Indians are “the only real Americans”. Most Americans come from all over the world. Those who came first in greatest numbers to make their homes on the eastern coast of North America were mostly from England. It is for that reason that the language of the United States is English and that its culture and customs are more like those of England than those of any other country in the world.
6. Which of the following is TRUE?
A. America is the largest country in the world.
B. The United States lies next to Canada and Mexico.
C. America covers most part of the North American continent.
D. Mexico is to the north of Canada.
7. After winning its independence, the United States _________.
A. had nothing to do with England B. made India part of its land
C. mainly developed westward D. took over parts of Canada and Mexico
8. The United States didn’t have ______ states until ________.
A. thirteen; 1959 B. fifty; 1959
C. fifty; this land first became a nation D. fifty;1964
9. Why is English the language of America?
A. Because English is the native language of the Indians.
B. Because most Americans come from all over the world.
C. Because Canada is America’s nearest neighbor.
D. Because most of the people who first settled in America were from England.
10. The best title for the passage is “ _________”.
A. the States of America B. The language of America
C. The United States of America D. The Culture and Customs of America
There was once an ant that was very thirsty.
It ran here and there looking for some water but could not find any.
Then suddenly, when the ant was almost ready to die of thirst, a large drop of water fell on it.
The ant drank the water, which saved its life.
The water was actually a tear from a young girl who was crying. Because of her sadness, the tear had magical qualities and suddenly the ant could speak the language of human beings.
The ant looked up and saw the young girl sitting in front of a huge pile of seeds.
“Why are you sad?” asked the ant.
“I’m the prisoner of a giant.” the girl told the ant. “He won’t let me go until I’ve made three separate heaps of grain, barley（大麦）and rye（黑麦）out of this huge pile of seeds in which they are all mixed together.”
“That will take you a month!” the ant said, looking at the huge pile of seeds.
“I know,” the girl cried, “and if I can’t finish by tomorrow, the giant will eat me for his supper!”
“Don’t cry,” the ant said, “my friends and I will help you.”
Soon thousands of ants were at work, separating the three kinds of seeds.
The next morning, when the giant saw that the work had been done, he let the girl go.
Thus it was one of her tears that saved her life.
11. The ant was playing game running here and there.
12. A drop of water fell on the ant when it was nearly dying.
13. The young girl was crying because she wanted to have supper.
14. The giant would eat the girl if she failed to do the work.
15. The ant’s friends saved the girl’s life.
16. I tried to put _____ a telephone call to him, but his line was always busy.
A. over B. into C. away D. through
17. I hadn’t seen him for years, but I ______________ his voice on the telephone.
A. realized B. recognized C. discovered D. heard
18. Neither Bill nor his parents __________ at home.
A. is B. has C. are D. was
19. If you don’t want to get wet, you had better ________ this umbrella with you.
A. take B. to take C. taken D. for taking
20. Did you notice the guy ______ head looked like a big potato?
A. who B. which C. whose D. whom
Last night, a fire broke out in Ann’s house in Manchester.
Ann’s parents were out of town for the weekend when something wrong in the room caused the fire to 21 in the middle of the night. The girl was waken up by the family dog, Danny, who was barking loudly in the back garden. Ann smelled something 22 _. She got up and at once ran through the smoke-filled house to wake her old brother, Frank.
When Frank would not wake up, Ann got some help from the dog. Frank’s unconscious body was far too 23 for the little girl to move alone , but the clever girl brought the dog inside and 24 the dog’s leash（牵狗的皮带）to Frank’s left ankle. She then held her brother’s right ankle, and together the girl and the dog 25 Frank to safety.
The 10-year-old girl, Ann, saved her big brother from death.
A：heavy B：burning C：start D：pulled E：tied
第五部分：英译汉 （满分30分, 5 each）
26. I will finish reading this book in a week.
27. You should look around before you cross the street.
28. Tom’s father has taught English here since he graduated from Peking University.
- Please give this book to whoever comes first.
- Though it was late, they kept on working.
- Apples here like water and sunshine.
1. D 2.C 3.B 4.A 5.C
6. B 7. C 8. B 9.D 10.C
11.B 12.A 13.B 14.A 15.A
16. D 17. B 18. C 19. A 20.C
21. C 22. B 23. A 24. E 25. D